< Previous Page
Split Spandrel Option
Longer Spandrels (maximum length varies with each design) may have to ship via motor freight. However, if you prefer, we can split your Spandrels in half for more economical shipping.
For Spandrels between 12 and 16 feet, we strongly suggest either splitting or ordering shorter. For lengths over 16 feet, we must insist on splitting or ordering shorter Spandrels.
If you choose to have your Spandrel(s) split, the following Split Spandrel Installation Instructions will be included with your shipment.
Do not attempt to rejoin the spandrel sections prior to installation. Rather, follow these steps during installation. It is always best to finish Spandrels prior to installation.
1. First, test fit the sections by having someone help you hold the entire spandrel into the position in which it will be permanently installed.
2. After pre-drilling all sections for screws, position the first section and screw into place.
3. Then put a spot of glue on both ends where the cutwork will rejoin. Screw the second section into place, matching the ends of the top frame together. (Elmer's Professional Carpenters' Wood Glue or equivalent yellow wood glue will work for both wood and PVC Spandrels. However, for PVC Spandrels we highly recommend using our AZEK Adhesive.)
4. Tape or large, tied rubber bands can be used to hold the cutwork seam until the glue is dry. To set the seam if the bottom rails do not align perfectly, use a "splint" of wood as shown below. Just clamps or tape the splint to the bottom rails of each side until the glue has dried completely.
5. If you have more than two sections, continue to install each section as above.
6. Enjoy your Spandrel!
Return to previous page
Shop for Spandrels